- 1 July – Bike Pirates 11th birthday — there might be cake. Maybe. And limeade.
- 1 July – Canada Day Ride With Wavelength. 3pm to ??, Trinity Bellwoods to Humber Bay. More info here: http://www.wavelengthmusic.ca/
- 5 July – Volunteer Orientation. 7:00pm at the shop. Just show up, we’ll be happy to see you, and you, too, can be a Bike Pirate!
- 12 July – Mechanical Orientation. 7:00pm at the shop, probably bike stripping for volunteers.
- 21 July – Craft night. 7:30pm — Silk screen? Buttons? Canvas bags? Mending? Watch the listserve for breaking news!
- 26 July – Monthly Meeting. Pirate governance stuff, but open to anyone who wants to come. What can i say, it’s a meeting. But sometimes we have snacks.
- 28 July – Movie Night (maybe). 7:00pm — aww. c’mon. Of *course* there’ll be movie night. We still haven’t seen The Bicycle Thief, and there’s 6 more episodes of Yowamushi Pedal.
- 31 July - Pedestrian Sunday in Kensington Market. Noon to 6pm. Pirates! In their Pirate-tent! will be doing safety checks, as usual, for cyclists in the Market.
**Bike Pirates will be CLOSED December 25 and January 1**
We don’t usually “observe holidays” over here at Bike Pirates, but this year Christmas Day and New Year’s Day fall on Sundays when we already have a limited number of volunteers available. So we have decided to be CLOSED on both Sundays – December 25th and January 1st.
We will be open again the following Sunday, January 8th, for Women & Trans hours.
Thank you for your understanding!!
Our Annual General Meeting is scheduled for next Wednesday, November 9th at 8pm, 1416 Queen St West. See you there!
Bike Pirates will be CLOSED this weekend – OCTOBER 1 + 2 – due to a number of volunteers attending the annual Bike!Bike! Conference in Detroit!
The conference is a gathering organized FOR and BY community bicycle projects like Bike Pirates (in fact, we hosted the conference in 2010), and gives us the opportunity to both share our knowledge and experiences, and glean new ideas, concepts, tactics, skills, and forge new relationships with other bike projects from all over the world!
We are very excited about this brief holiday and will be open again for regular shop hours on MONDAY OCTOBER 3rd.
Ahoy Pirates, Bike Rave 2016 is officially set for August 5.
We will be starting at Underpass Skate Park on the east end, setting up around 7:45 or so, and leaving close to 9PM. Here are the main event details (Facebook):
Here’s the route for this year.
Could definitely use some help with corking the route, particularly when we hit all the red lights going north on Sherbourne and when we hit Yonge/Wellseley.
If you are interested in helping or want to discuss the event, you can come to Pirates on Thursday night this week during volunteer hours
(after 7:30), and I’ll be around to talk.
The plan is to sell glowsticks PWYC at Underpass Skate Park before Bike Rave starts. The ride starts around 9PM or so, but we’ll be around an hour and a bit early to set up.
*ALSO: *It does not say so on the event listing, but if the event gets
broken up at our final stop, Trinity Bellwoods, there will be an
“after-party” of sorts for volunteers, friends, and friends of friends on
the Humber Bridge.
See you there!
Hey everyone, It’s that time of year again. Time for one of Bike Pirates favourite events of the summer…
This year will be starting at 6:30pm at the Trinity Bellwoods gates at Queen and Strachan.
For our volunteers to be able to attend we will be closing the shop at 6pm sharp.
For more information check out the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1656127774710185/
In addition to our regular Open Shop hours, we have the following special events coming up in July:
Wed 6 July 7pm – Volunteer orientation
Fri 8 July 7pm – Bike build (Pirate volunteers only, but means there should be some used bikes for sale on Saturday July 9)
Sat 9 July noon to 5pm – Pirate Birthday Party (10th? — gosh, we’re not sure!) Come on down for lemonade and cake during our regular Saturday shop hours. Pirate-only bash after shop close.
Wed 13 July 8pm – Mechanical Orientation — focus on old school bottom brackets.
Thurs14 July 6pm – ArtSpin — the shop will close early (6pm) so we can go
Wed 20 July 8pm – Biking Law Seminar — everyone welcome. More info coming soon.
Wed 27 July 7pm – monthly meeting for Pirate volunteers
And here’s this handy Bike Pirates 2016 monthly calendar