History of Bike Pirates

Bike Pirates first opened on July 1, 2006 as an autonomous, anarchist collective, run by local activists and bike punks who wanted to have a space to fix their bikes and to help others do the same. Originally located at 457 Bathurst St., with limited hours and gradually increasing resources we helped hundreds of people get their bikes running, learn to build a new bike, and even sold some people their very first bicycles. Within two years, a base of volunteers and service users was built up and the time was ripe to relocate to a much larger space accessible to people of all abilities.

In August 2008, Bike Pirates moved to 1292 Bloor Street West, and also became an official non-profit organization, with a board of directors. Since then we have flourished, more than doubling our hours, and drawing a great many new clients from a neighborhood that is more in need of our resources. We have become a well known leader in the cycling community, and our volunteer pool has expanded to match. In November 2008, we added our weekly “trans & women only” hours, which have been running successfully ever since.

In January 2009, Bike Pirates was proud to receive the City of Toronto’s 2008 Bicycle Friendly Business Award for Best Skills Development.